Monday, June 22, 2009

The brief moments I have stepped away from my computer this week have been to collect products from our vendors for our new kiosk opening in Grand Central. These product pick-ups have been highlight of my days. To be able to glance into a workshop and see how things are made is one of the biggest benefits of working with local vendors. Production so often takes place far away and it is rare that a retailer actually gets to see first hand the products being created.

This week I visited Donna Brady of RE-SURFACE. Her studio is in the oldest manufacturing building in Brooklyn. Located near the Navy Yard, this building is a complex system of elevator shafts, long hallways and hundreds of doors. Donna's studio although small is a perfect example of functional space and ordered systems. One can gather the process within a glance from her drafting table to the finished hanging lights.

Today my only break was to MJ's Herbals- Welcomed with a warm cup of mate,
I soaked in the wonderful scents of herbs throughout the space. MJ and I chatted about her process from printing brochures to display options. I could have stayed all day brainstorming the best ways to educate our customers about her salves. Sharing information is an important part of what we do and Local Labels has a growing list of resources for our vendors.

A lot more pick-ups this week. Excited to see some new work spaces!

Tell us about products you have seen being made.




No comments: